December 3, 2013
— 2 Comments
One of the big questions in the social media world since Instagram video came out is, which better; Vine or Instagram? The answer to this question lies within the personal preference of the user. There are pros and cons to each platform and each of these pros and cons lead to the ultimate decision that the user will make. If this is a question that still bounces around in your mind, here’s a list of pros and cons to ease your mind a bit:
Why Vine Rocks:
- A six second time limit forces a Vine user to think outside the box and be as innovative as possible.
- Vine constantly loops the video, so if you miss something you can watch it again.
- Twitter and Vine are linked together, so when you post something on Vine it automatically goes to your Twitter page, too.
Why Instagram Rocks:
- Instagram has a longer recording time (15 seconds) which allows more time to film a typical TV spot.
- The app also offers more creativity with filters and editing features that enhance the display of the video.
- Instagram also allows to share on not just Facebook and Twitter, but also Tumblr, Flickr and Foursquare.
Not So Good About Vine:
- Vine lacks editing tools and style filters.
- You can’t pull prerecorded videos from camera roll.
- Vine’s user numbers have decreased 2.9 million to 1.35 million, a 50 percent decrease.
Troubles With Instagram:
- Instagram doesn’t have the looping option for videos.
- Just like Vine, Instagram doesn’t support pulling prerecorded videos from camera roll.
- Because of the 15 second time limit, there are complaints of the video taking too long to load.
With these pros and cons in mind, a user now has a better chance of making a decision that is in line with their personal preference. Whatever the choice, with practice and proper use, you’ll become a video pro in no time!
-Ali Cupelli is a senior majoring in strategic communication. Follow her at @ali__cup .