August 13, 2015
By: Katie Speice, @katiespeice
There are some big life adjustments that come with taking on a first summer internship. A summer internship means new, long nine hour work-days, scary highway commutes to work, and sore feet from high heels. A consistent complaint from interns is how exhausted they are when 5 o’clock rolls around. It is easy to get in a rut of driving home from work, plopping down on the couch and not moving until dinner time. Thankfully, after 10 successful weeks of being an energetic, happy intern, I’ve finally mastered what it takes to create an exciting life after office hours.
- Balance Coffee & Water. Although coffee might make you feel like a superhero, it can leave you feeling dehydrated once its magical powers fade away. For every cup of coffee you drink in the office make sure to drink at least one cup of water. The water will keep you hydrated and happy once your energy from the coffee wears off.
- Have a Regular Post-Work Schedule. Schedule fun weekly after-work activities and stay committed to them each week. Maybe sign up for a 6 o’clock yoga or painting class. Both of these will help relieve stress and ensure that you keep moving once work is over. Scheduling reoccurring weekly events is a great way to jump-start your night time energy because you have set expectations each week.
- Make Plans With a Friend. Whether it is the anticipation of catching up with your friend or the guiltiness of canceling plans, you are more motivated to follow-through with your promise. From dinner dates to intense kickboxing classes to running tedious errands, everything is more fun with a buddy.
- Don’t Turn on The TV Until After Dinner. Netflix has a way of taking over your whole night without you even knowing until it’s 11 p.m. Be disciplined and follow the rule of no TV until after dinner. This forces you to spend those first few hours after work in a more rewarding way.
- Go to Bed Early. It is as simple as that. Your body needs sleep to perform at its highest. Try to make each day as busy, active, and productive as possible so that when 10 p.m. rolls around you have no problem falling fast asleep.
With these simple steps you can be energetic and ready to tackle the day. Even if you can just pick one or two of these to do, you will see results and a happier you!